Things To See And Do

Stay tuned and updated on all my new travels and experiences during the following 14 months.

Monday, December 10, 2012

Week 24: My First Vegetarian Restaurant & A Visit to Reptilia (Reptile Zoo)

Giving Vegetarianism A Try

I can only speak for myself, but I've always felt that a meal should include some form of meat.  When someone would mention the option of vegetarian I'd react with a solemn, "Ugh, no thanks!"  It was as if they had told some rude joke or something.  I love meat and feel that it's a fundamental part of a person's healthy diet.  But, times are changing and being healthy can in fact include a meatless diet.  So, on Friday I ventured out to a local vegetarian restaurant called "Green Earth - Vegetarian Cuisine."  I first discovered it on line and noticed that it had received great reviews, and even the menu looked quite promising with a wide variety of choices.  I chose the good earth burger and fries.  The fake meat is a grilled soy protein that resembles a chicken breast.  The bun was whole wheat and the fries were like any other fries, really.  This is what it looked like.





My first bite into the burger was kinda shocking (the texture was unappealing) and I thought I had made a grave mistake, but it actually got better and better once I got used to it.  To be perfectly honest, I enjoyed my veggie burger more than "The Works" burger from last week.  Everything just tasted fresh and healthy, minus the fries of course.  The fries were like any fries, yummy and evil.  The entire dinner for 2 was very cheap and I'd totally go there again.  Next time I think I'll even try something different.  Overall, I'm certainly no convert to vegetarianism, but I'll definitely include it in my restaurant Rolodex for the future.

Reptilia - Reptile Zoo, Anyone?

I once read somewhere that you should never trust a person who hates animals.  Just some food for thought.  I've always loved animals.  I mean I get excited when I see a squirrel or a fish in the wild.  I've been to almost every kind of zoo around here except for Reptilia.  In fact, I wasn't even aware of its existence until somewhat recently.  So, away I went on Saturday to Reptilia in Vaughan (a short drive north of Toronto).  When I first walked in I thought I had made a mistake because all I saw were small children.  I'm thinking is this some kind of reptile Chuck E. Cheese or something?  It turned out to be just fine because there are actually quite a bit of interactive things to see and do for just about any age, if you're not afraid of the animals.  In the two hours I was there I saw two feedings and two shows.  The shows consist of a zoo keeper who brings out three different animals to show and describe, and the audience has an opportunity to touch each as well.  The shows included a tarantula, asian water monitor, other lizards, and a couple of snakes.  Of course I touched each one of them.  It was really neat.  These shows take place throughout the day as well as feedings for some of the animals.  I got to witness two rattle snakes and the asian water monitor feed on rats.  Aside from the shows and feedings, you can simply walk around and check out the various spiders, snakes, lizards, birds, etc.  Some are small and some are huge!  They had an anaconda that was about as long as a bus.  They also had Nile crocodiles, alligators, pythons, poisonous frogs, and many more.  I made several videos and took photos to help showcase the experience I had.

Asian Water Monitor on the Zoo Keeper's back During a Show


I'm petting a tarantula's leg.


Here I'm petting the asian water monitor's tail.








Asian Water Monitor Show


 Alligators


Snakes 


Really big snakes 


Rattle Snake Feeding Time!






Asian Water Monitor Dances and Plays Around for his Dinner.




Two Tortoises In Love


If at the end of your visit you haven't quite gotten your fill of reptilian animals and other creatures, you can simply purchase them at the pet store conveniently located at the exit.  Can you imagine exiting the Toronto Zoo and picking up a monkey, lion, or kangaroo on the way to your car?  They have thought of everything, haven't they?




No comments:

Post a Comment