Things To See And Do

Stay tuned and updated on all my new travels and experiences during the following 14 months.

Monday, February 4, 2013

Week 33: More Winterlicious & An Old School Cinema

WINTERLICIOUS CONTINUES

Friday evening I tried a Cuban restaurant in my area called Mambo Lounge.  They offer various menu choices such as the Winterlicious three course meal, tapas (small dishes), and entrees.  I decided to keep my meal small and have a salad and calamari tapas.  My salad, Del chef, was very good.  It has baby spinach with pears, walnuts, red pepper, blue cheese, and a lemon vinaigrette dressing.  The cost is $7.  After having the delicious salad I was excited and quite hopeful about the grilled calamari.  However, it was very tiny.  It took me exactly 3 bites to finish.  It was cooked well and tasted fine, but much too small for $6, in my opinion.  My friends decided to go with the Winterlicious menu which is $25 per person for dinner plus an additional fee they add on for the tip.  One friend had the same salad as I did, the other had the soup of the day which was made of beans.  It was hearty.  The salad was much better.  They both had the NY strip loin with yucca fries and flan for dessert.  I sampled their steak, fries, and dessert and they were all fine.  I'd like to return another day and try something different.  Unfortunately, I forgot to take photos of the food we ate but I found a picture on line.  Here's the Del chef salad:


The restaurant offers live Cuban music on the weekends as well.  While we were there a gentleman played the guitar.  Here's their website if you'd like to get further information:  http://mambocubano.ca


ENCORE OAKVILLE MEWS CINEMAS

Who doesn't enjoy a good movie?  I certainly do.  However, I find it really difficult to watch new movies at the cinemas because people are increasingly rude and annoying.  I've been to countless films where people have been on their phones, talking, and this is my new favourite, bumming money off people.  So now I try to avoid the big theatres in the city and go further out such as Mississauga and Oakville.  This weekend I felt like seeing something action packed and exciting so we chose to see "Hansel and Gretel".  The only problem was that it's in 3D everywhere.  I hate 3D.  It's already uncomfortable to wear one pair of eye glasses on your face; try wearing two pairs at once!  It sucks.  Plus, I really don't need to see objects flying at my face.  Anyway, we thought we found a theatre in Oakville that was playing our movie in 2D.  That was Encore Cinemas in Oakville.  It's a small old school theatre with only 5 theatres, each seating approx. 160-200 people.  I really liked it.  There weren't many people and they were well behaved.  I would totally return there.  Although, I'm really waiting for the day when we can watch movie theatre movies from the convenience of our own homes.  Wouldn't that rock?!





The cost?  $9 general admission, surcharge of $2.50 for 3D
The cost at a Cineplex Odeon Cinema?  $11.99 general, $14.99 3D




No comments:

Post a Comment