Things To See And Do

Stay tuned and updated on all my new travels and experiences during the following 14 months.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Week 32: Winterlicious! Toronto's Winter Food Festival

Pre-Winterlicious:

Green Basil (Thai)

Thai is one of my favourite ethnic dishes.  It's spicy, nutty, coconutty, and just plain yummy.  A new Thai restaurant opened up in my neighbourhood called "Green Basil".  Apparently they have another restaurant on Queen St. East as well.  So, on Wednesday I had to go try it out.  I liked the fact that they give you complimentary shrimp chips upon seating.  Who doesn't love free stuff?

 Shrimp Chips



Below is a picture of the paper place mat describing how great their ingredients are for your digestive system.  I personally liked the part that praises the "antiflatulence agent".  Isn't that what everyone wants to read about just prior to eating...  that the food won't make you fart?  Charming, eh?



If you've never had Thai before, this is a typical menu describing their chicken dishes.  We ordered the mango chicken and peanut chicken curry.


 Mango Chicken

Peanut Chicken Curry


Personally, I thought the mango chicken was not warm enough and quite bland for my liking.  The peanut chicken curry was quite tasty - spicy, peanutty, coconutty, and creamy.  However, it was not better than my favourite Thai place called the "Bow Thai".  I'll be heading back there next time.



Winterlicious:

Rally Sports Bar & Smokehouse (Smokehouse; Southern style BBQ)

I found this restaurant on the Winterlicious 2013 website.  It was another gem in my area that I was unaware of.  I really like sweet and spicy food so I thought this place would be great to try.  From the menu below, this is what we ordered:  jambalaya & little monster burger.


Jambalaya

Little Monster Burger


The jambalaya was alright; I liked its spiciness and variety of protein (chicken, sausage, and shrimp).  But, the real surprise and winner was the little monster burger.  It was one of the best burgers I have ever eaten!  It may not look like much in this picture but it was certainly divine.  On top of the beef patty is pulled pork and fried onions.  The barbecue sauce from the pulled pork makes it sweet and so delicious.  Even the baked beans were an awesome side.  I would totally return to Rally Sports Bar & Smokehouse just for that burger.  The jambalaya, not so much.

Overall, Green Basil will get a second chance and Rally Sports Bar & Smokehouse will be my saviour for all burger cravings.  Next stop, Mambo Lounge (Cuban food) on Friday.  Hungry?



1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to your blog about Cuban food. I hope it's better than the food in any Cuban resort in Varadero.

    ReplyDelete