Things To See And Do

Stay tuned and updated on all my new travels and experiences during the following 14 months.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Week 31: Attending an Apple Workshop on iPhoto

When I bought my MacBook I also purchased a one year One to One Membership for $99 which included a free data transfer as well.  I figured since it was my first Mac and I needed the data transfer anyway, why not buy the 1:1 to learn about and maximize my use of this new expensive computer.  I've probably gone to about four 1:1 sessions so far, all referring to general beginners stuff or "Getting Started On Your Mac" as they call it.  I found the sessions to be helpful and they always answered my questions to the best of their ability.

However, you don't necessarily have to buy the $99 One to One Membership in order to get their help and/or learn how to use any Apple product.  Many Apple stores offer free workshops almost every day on various topics.  Let's say you live in Toronto and would like to attend a workshop downtown at the Eaton Centre.  Simply go to www.apple.com/ca/retail/eatoncentre/ and make a reservation.  If you don't live in this area then find another store that is perhaps closer to you.  There is a drop down menu on the website that allows you to see a complete store list.  Then click on "Workshops" and "Next".  It will ask you what you'd like to learn.  Choose from their listed workshops, select a day and time, and sign up either by using your Apple ID if you have one, or name and email.  That's it.  You don't even need to bring an Apple device to the workshop.  It's completely up to you.

I specifically chose a workshop on iPhoto for Mac.  There were about 9 of us in the workshop and 2 Apple staff to run the one hour session.  Overall, I found the workshop to be quite helpful.  I learned several new things which is always a success.  The content and pace were both good and you could always ask questions if needed.  The downfalls, however, were the noise and distractions and painfully uncomfortable stool-style seats.  If you've ever been inside an Apple store you know how very busy and noisy they can be.  Try sitting at a table in the middle of the store while a private 1:1 workshop is taking place directly across from you as you are trying to hear and pay attention to the guy giving info. on iPhoto.  It was annoying to say the least.  This weekend I went to Yorkdale Mall where they have the first Canadian Microsoft store.  It is very similar to the Apple store, but they run their workshops in a separate room from the bustling store.  That, to me, makes much more sense.  Oh well.  What do I expect for free?

All in all, I would definitely recommend attending a free Apple workshop.  I plan on trying another one in the future.  I would also recommend the $99 One to One Membership if you are new to the product and need a data transfer.  It's a great value compared to Best Buy or Future Shop where they charge you about the same or more for the data transfer alone.  Also, if you are a teacher you can save $100 on the purchase of a new Mac.  I did!  Now, if I could just figure out how to get iMovie to load on Facebook...
















No comments:

Post a Comment