Things To See And Do

Stay tuned and updated on all my new travels and experiences during the following 14 months.

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Week 47: More Adventures in Cooking

Because I now cook, I try to cook at least one new thing every week.  Now, I'm not talking 5 star gourmet meals for 6.  Simply put, it could be a type of meat or fish, or even a single vegetable I've never made before.  It has been a good system because it keeps me challenged, interested, and continuously learning.  They haven't all been great successes but no big failures either.  Not yet have I  had to throw out food due to it being inedible.

One evening I had company for dinner.  Since my guest had an allergy to shellfish I had to scramble for protein to add to the meal.  All I could find in my tiny freezer was a single portion of stewing beef and a fourth of a President's Choice salmon wellington.  I decided to remove the "wellington" part and use the salmon instead.  That's why the salmon in the picture below is so minute.  I cooked some asparagus with the beef and salmon in a sauce pan on the stove.  The new items for me with this meal was the corn, which I baked in the oven, and the pesto macaroni.  The pesto sauce came from a jar, of course.  They were both delicious!  


Baked Corn, Pesto Macaroni, Asparagus, Salmon, Beef 




Here's another example of scrambling up a meal.  This time it was just for me.  I had to have something for dinner and needed to eat up a few items that were getting near expiry in the fridge.  So, I took the left-over ground beef and mixed it up with some asparagus, mixed frozen veggies and Thai sweet chili sauce.  It may not look overly appetizing, but I enjoyed it.


Ground Turkey, Asparagus, Frozen Corn/Carrots/Peas, Thai Sweet Chili Sauce




One day at Loblaws I came across something interesting in the produce dept.  Sometimes they have ready-to-cook vegetables that have been washed, cut, and packaged up with cooking directions.  I had tried their squash once and it was really good, so I just had to try their rutabagas.  I had no idea what rutabagas are until I looked it up.  They are basically a type of Swedish turnip that began as a cross between a cabbage and a turnip.  I baked them in the oven hoping they'd turn out like the squash, but no such luck.  They don't taste anything like squash.  I ate them but I won't buy them again.  I never did like turnips much.


Rutabaga


Baked Rutabagas




I'm a big fan of asparagus and Thai sweet chili sauce.  I also think that it's always a good idea to have some frozen shrimp in the freezer for quick and easy stir-fries on a day when you've run out of time, ideas, or protein.  That's how the meal below came about.


Brown Rice, Asparagus, Shrimp




As I've stated before, I'm also a big fan of sauces.  I don't cook with much seasoning so a ready-made sauce is a perfect way for me to add various flavours to my meal.  You can basically eat around the world from a bottle or can of sauce from the ethnic section of your grocery store.  I really enjoy Indian food but there's so many spices and curries involved that I was quite concerned about how VH's Indian Market Butter Chicken cooking sauce would taste.  Anyway, I heated some up with chicken, eggplant, and of course rice and it was surprisingly tasty.  I bought a similar bottle of Thai cooking sauce but I haven't tried it yet.  I'm hopeful after this one's success.


Butter Chicken Sauce from Walmart


Brown Rice, Chicken, Eggplant, VH Butter Chicken Sauce




When I go grocery shopping I spend the most time carefully choosing my produce and meat for the week.  While searching for something interesting in the meat dept., I came across what I'd call a ready-to-cook pork roast.  It had been seasoned with herb and garlic and they were even kind enough to give me the cooking instructions.  It's like they knew I was coming!  I baked it as directed and it was good.  Don't you just love it when things are so simple?


President's Choice Herb & Garlic Pork Tenderloin


Cooked Pork Tenderloin




Have you ever had fiddleheads?  Fiddleheads are a type of young fern gathered as a vegetable.  Some people rave about them.  Being from New Brunswick where fiddleheads are commonly harvested, you'd think that I've had them before.  Well, if I have they were so great that I lost all recollection of the experience.  They had them at the grocery store so I bought some to try.  I looked up on line various ways to prepare and cook them and decided to go with boiling.  I learned that it's very important to wash and cook fiddleheads thoroughly to avoid getting ill.  Although I didn't have butter to put on top of them, I did use a bit of vinegar.  They basically tasted the way they look--green and blah.  They weren't disgusting but they're weren't great either.  I had some of that President's Choice pork roast to accompany my dinner.  I liked the pork better.  Don't you think the fiddleheads resemble green alien snails???


Fiddleheads & Pork Tenderloin

No comments:

Post a Comment