Things To See And Do

Stay tuned and updated on all my new travels and experiences during the following 14 months.

Monday, October 1, 2012

Week 15: BIXI Bikes & Nuit Blanche

BIXI

A while ago I noticed that Toronto had these cool bike rental stations all over the downtown core called BIXI.  Ever since then I always thought it would be really neat to try it out.  All you need is a credit card for the $250 deposit and $5.65 for the 24 hour subscription.  "BIXI bikes can be picked up or dropped off at any of the 80 downtown bicycle docking terminals 24 hours a day, seven days a week." (http://www.toronto.ca/cycling/bixi/)  They're really designed to supplement the TTC, but that's no fun so we decided to bike to Tommy Thompson Park.  I really enjoyed my BIXI bike and would totally do it again.  They are easy to rent, ride, and fairly comfortable too. 


Tommy Thompson Park



Nuit Blanche

Up until this past weekend I had no clue what nuit blanche was.  Nuit blanche is designed "to transform the city into a giant late-night contemporary art gallery, with daring and largely interactive work displayed throughout the downtown core."  (http://www.blogto.com/arts/2012/09/nuit_blanche_toronto_2012/)  We mainly checked out two locations hosting various installations at Old City Hall and City Hall.  I like art, a bit.  But I enjoy art that I can relate to, nothing abstract for me.  Most of the installations I saw at nuit blanche were quite "out there".  I kept saying things like, "Huh?  I don't get it.  That's kinda disturbing."  You can make your own decision.

located on Yonge Street:  The Fluxmobile

Old City Hall:  9 Beet Stretch, 2004




located at City Hall: 













Well, as William Shatner would say, "Was that weird or what?"

No comments:

Post a Comment