Things To See And Do

Stay tuned and updated on all my new travels and experiences during the following 14 months.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Week 38: Attempting a Couple of Weight Watchers Recipes

Up until this year my desire to cook for myself, or anyone else for that matter, was pretty much nil.  However, all my experimentation has really payed off.  I no longer fear the idea of cooking a meal or attempting a new recipe.  In fact, I made dinner for two last night and not only looked forward to it, but enjoyed it to boot!   I definitely think that this year's cooking adventures will be a healthy benefit to my life when I return to work.  There will be less frozen entrees & sandwiches and more variety without the added preservatives and other unfavourable additives.  Remember, I said "less".  It's simply too expensive and impractical for one person to freshly prepare EVERY meal EVERY day.  Come on now; we're not pioneers.

Last week I bought the Weight Watchers 360 kit which included a recipe book.  I found two simple and interesting meals to try.

snappy tex-mex shrimp soup - 7 PointsPlus value

The photo below is taken directly from the book.  I followed it as closely as possible, although it took me about 45 min. to complete when it's advertised to take 15.  I can't really blame the book though.  I'm a novice.



This photo is what mine looked like.  It's similar, I guess.  Regardless, it tasted pretty good.  The only problem is that it stunk up my entire apartment for two days.



eggs & lox scramble - 6 PointsPlus value

To be perfectly honest, I had no clue what lox was before this one.  I guess it's some fancy Yiddish way of saying smoked salmon.  Anyway, I've been told that I'm not consuming enough protein so this meal looked like a perfect breakfast antidote.  Minus the sour cream, I followed the recipe and made it my own.


Comparatively, mine looks quite sad.  Doesn't it?  It was a bit too rich for my liking.  I'm not a big fan of salmon and I sometimes find eggs to be kind of sickening as well.  Now that I think of it, I have no idea why I thought the two together would be good.



To sum it all up, I've not only increased my confidence and abilities in cooking but also learned a new shrimp soup recipe.  Oh and let's not forget I've added a new word to my vocabulary - lox.  Impressive?  I'm going with--yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment