Things To See And Do

Stay tuned and updated on all my new travels and experiences during the following 14 months.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Week 55: Back to Buffalo!

I enjoyed Buffalo, New York so much the last time I went there that I just had to book a night's stay once again during this summer.  Since I enjoy to mix some old goodies with some new experiences, I had planned on shopping at my favourite places (Fashion Outlets Mall, Walmart, Target, JCPenney) and then going into downtown Buffalo because I missed it completely during my previous trips.  Also, I wanted to try the Olive Garden restaurant; we don't have any here.

This time I went from Sunday to Monday instead of Saturday to Sunday and it was a total breeze with no traffic hassles on the highway or at the borders, both ways.  The hotel was about $40 cheaper too.  The malls open a bit later on Sunday, 11am, but I easily killed time at the nearby Walmart.  I spent $150 and bought a number of items like 2 pairs of pants, sunglasses, toiletries, dental Waterpik, etc.  It was a pretty good value.

For dinner on Sunday I got to try the Olive Garden Italian Restaurant.  I ordered the Seafood Brodetto from their "Lighter Fare" menu.  It includes scallops, shrimp, and tilapia with spinach and mushrooms in a marinara broth - no pasta or rice.  You do, however, get to choose between soup or salad with your meal and garlic bread sticks.  I tried both the soup and salad, but the salad was the real winner.  My Seafood Brodetto was alright; I'll try something different if I return.  I had an opportunity to sample the Steak Gorgonzola-Alfredo and it was very rich and tasty.  Perhaps you'd be ill if you ate an entire order of it though.  I certainly couldn't eat all that, digest it, and feel good about myself afterwards.




Steak Gorgonzola-Alfredo

Seafood Brodetto


The next morning I thought I'd try the American version of a Tim Horton's breakfast at Dunkin' Donuts.  I ordered your typical breakfast sandwich with egg, cheese and sausage on an English muffin with a medium coffee.  Now I can say with certainty that America might run on Dunkin' but this Canadian DOES NOT.  The coffee was weak and watered down, and the sandwich was average at best.  I will never doubt Tim's again.





The drive into downtown Buffalo was a bit "interesting".  I drove through an area that can best be described as sketchy with dilapidated houses and closed up shops covered in boards and spray paint.  Once actually in the downtown area it was cleaned up and more welcoming, but small and fairly boring.  I didn't even stop the car to get out and look around.  A brief drive around a few blocks was all it took and then I was off for home.

All in all, I really enjoyed my time in Buffalo.  It's rural, pretty, friendly, stress-free, offers some interesting stores/restaurants that we lack, and is only 2 hours away.  Would I live there?  NEVER!


No comments:

Post a Comment