Things To See And Do

Stay tuned and updated on all my new travels and experiences during the following 14 months.

Friday, August 9, 2013

Week 56: Food Adventures in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan!

Over the long weekend I traveled to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan to visit friends.  In addition to a pool party, bouncy castle kiddie park, shopping, and lots of play time with my new 4-year old buddy, I had an opportunity to try some of the local cuisine.  First, was "Browns Socialhouse".  From what I could find on their website, Browns Socialhouse is a restaurant/bar with locations in Saskatchewan and British Columbia; none in Ontario as of yet.  The interior reminded me of a "Spoon & Fork" or "The Keg".  I normally don't eat pizza, but I thought I'd take advantage of their daily special, $9 pizzas, because they had an interesting selection to choose from.  I'm all about the different so I chose the most unique pizza called the Biltmore.  It included pesto, feta, shrimp, sun-dried tomato, and a jalapeno white sauce.  Doesn't it sound quite novel for pizza?  Look below for the photos.




Biltmore Pizza

It was rich and tasty, but not something I'd consider to be an appropriate meal for one.  I think it would be perfect as an appetizer for two or more to share.


Next, was my second attempt at trying Ethiopian food; the first time I tried it was over a decade ago in Winnipeg, Manitoba and I was not overly impressed.  However, I figured that this time might very well be different because my palate has drastically matured since then.  The restaurant I went to was called "Saba's African Cuisine".  My dinner companions shared the Vegetarian Combination whereas I had the Meat Combination which includes both meat and vegetables.  The thing to know about Ethiopian food is that it basically comes on a big piece of flat edible bread with several piles of various vegetables and/or meat that is meant to be scooped up with the bread and eaten.  So, no need for cutlery.  The food is tasty and spicy. My favourite was the chicken drumstick.  But, I got very full quite fast and my digestive system was not overly pleased with me the following day.  I think I'll listen to my body and take another break from the Ethiopian food for another few years or so.  I guess I have an adolescent palate after all.



Vegetarian Combination

Meat Combination

No comments:

Post a Comment