Things To See And Do

Stay tuned and updated on all my new travels and experiences during the following 14 months.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Week 9: My First Protest - Queen's Park Rally For Education

Today I participated in the Rally For Education at Queen's Park to stand up for my democratic rights and let the provincial government know that I am very saddened and disappointed with their decision to legislate a contract upon us.  I think it's a dark and frightened time in our nation when democracy becomes a dictatorship. 

Aside from the heavy purpose of being there, I tried to make the most of it and have a laugh or two whenever possible.  For instance, during Sam Hammond's speech there was this woman right behind me who kept shouting, "SHAME! SHAME!" and pretty much parroting whatever he said.  Man, did she have a set of lungs on her.  Also, as part of the great finale to the rally some lady who reminded me of Rita McNeil sang a song about solidarity or something.  Trust me, it's not a song you want stuck in your head.  I'm not sure if she made it up or what, but I would have liked a more modern rendition of something applicable; maybe some Jay-Z or Rihanna?  Check out the video clips and see for yourself.













I feel like such a rebel now.  Perhaps next I'll grow out my body hair, get dread locks, and wear tye dye and high tops.

2 comments:

  1. did i hear a whistle in your videos? very weird

    ReplyDelete
  2. Solidarity forever....solidarity forever...solidarity forever....blah blah blah blah blah...
    Kumbaya!

    ReplyDelete